Friday, October 12, 2012

RV park doing just fine charging $5 a night

The eight site campground. All pull thru sites.
By Chuck Woodbury
RVtravel.com

WASTA, South Dakota -- Along Interstate 90, about 10 miles west of the town of Wall and its mega tourist attraction Wall Drug, is Wasta, population 72, and its 24 Express Campground. In an era when most RV parks along a highway routinely charge $30 to $50 a night, the 24 Express Campground charges $5. It's been in business for three years and is turning a profit.

Small billboard along I-90
Its father-son owners Arley and Tom Rancour also operate the 24 Express Mobile gas station and the Armed Forces Military Collection museum. The gas (and diesel) station is fully automated, the first totally self service station to open in South Dakota. The campground is also self service. Pay your $5 and then take a campsite. The dump station is free if you stay a night.

All eight campsites accommodate the largest RVs and offer water along with 20, 30 and 50 amps electric hookups. RVers can use the toilets in the gas station, but there are no showers. Only fully self-contained RVs are allowed in the park.

To keep costs down, the business has no employees. The property was cheap to buy and the overhead low. "Most RVers come in late in the evening and leave early in the morning," said Arley. "Maybe it costs us a dollar or two in electricity. We don't make much money on any one of the things we do individually, but when you add it up we do fine," he said.

"Our biggest problem is growing trees," he said. "We've planted a thousand, but they all die." Tom said they keep trying to find trees that can survive the clay soil. "Look around, he said. "None of the trees around here look very good."

Seven signs along I-90 advertise the park, but that's it for the marketing effort. Yet, in the busy summer season, it fills regularly. "Business is picking up every year," said Arley, noting that the down economy has many RVers looking for a bargain.

Yet even at $5 some RVers complain. "They want WiFi or a sewer hookup," said Arley. Most of those RVers just turn around and leave.

Arley and one of his home-built soda pop planes
The Armed Forces Military Collection  displays firearms, uniforms, a tank and two mint-condition Jeeps, plus posters, newspaper clippings and other miscellany from World War I through the present. Individual displays are dedicated to the military services of the United States, Germany and Japan. The collection represents a 27-year effort by the family along with some donations. Soon to arrive from Texas is a Navy A-4C Skyhawk jet which saw service from 1964 to 1974. The plane will be displayed outside in front, where it will be highly visible from the highway.

The museum gift shop sells t-shirts, model planes, books, DVDs and more. Arley makes model Corsair airplanes from soda pop cans and sells them for $20.

Tom said the store sells more Vietnam-era related merchandise these days, now that most of the World War II vets are gone. "When Grandpa comes in with a grandchild, he's a Vietnam vet nowadays," he said.

The 24 Express campground, gas station and military museum are at exit 98 off I-90 west of Wall and east of Rapid City. Telephone first for museum hours, (605) 993-3007. The campground is open year round.


23 comments:

klbexplores said...

Not quite free but they just might give Wally World a run for their money!!

acwhite said...

Great story......Thanks to the Rancour's for such a bargain...Hope to be a customer some day...

nohome46 said...

That’s really frugal camping and we don’t need a sewer at every stay.

Anonymous said...

I find it a sad commentary on today's RVer that even at $5 there are those who complain. I hope I never find myself at a campground next to them...

Anonymous said...

More RV parks need to provide an area like this for travelers on the go.

Jim Reeve said...

I am putting this place on my bucket list of places to stop on my next trip west...both for the campground and the museum. Thanks for publishing the article.

Jim Reeve said...

...well said. I had the same thought.

Anonymous said...

Should charge $10.00, let them complain and find a cheaper site...

Anonymous said...

Someone who complains that there is no wi-fi after only paying $5.00 a night has a real problem. It is hard for me to understand that people could find a reason to complain when paying only $5.00. Even $10.00 would be great.

Anonymous said...

Me too, some people are never happy.

Brenda said...

It just goes to show you that campgrounds can turn a profit from lower prices. And how sad it is that people still complain when the price is only 5 bucks. I agree with the people above, I hope I never find myself next to them someday. People like that I suppose would complain about anything and everything. How sad to live your life like that.

I'm definitely putting this "campground" on my list of places to stop.

ReneeG said...

What a great story and great business. Kudos to this father and son duo for being inventive. We'd stay at $5 a night and a pull through to boot!

Bob L said...

I'm with Jim, putting it on my bucket list. Been by this way many times, but not in recent years. Look forward to fulfilling that one.

Dr4Film said...

There are RV Parks and other facilities that charge more than that just to use their Dump Station. When I am on the road heading to another destination, I would be happy to use a place which had very long pull-through's and electric for $5 and you get clean water to boot. I use rest areas, fuel stations and other places to dump my tanks. I have never had to pay to dump my tanks.

Anonymous said...

I would gladly pay $5 even $10 to stay a night with electric and dump. I have paid $10 just to dump. I like many others have said, I wish there were more like this campground to stop when on the road for one night. I hope they continue to make a profit and this helps them sell T-shirts, model planes and anything else they may have. When I stop there I plan on buying something.
Bruce Pedersen

Anonymous said...

Same here.

Darlene said...

So true! Some do not know when they are blessed!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some people have more money then brains !!

Anonymous said...

Agree with above, thanks for letting us know..
Tree's ? Try some Blue Gums they grow in similar conditions in Australia..

Anonymous said...

where else can you go for a overnight stay and learn a little history at such a price.

Brad said...

I remember passing this place year before last. Wish I had stopped to see the airplanes. I'm a Vietnam vet. I flew the A4C type airplane that they are going to display. I will definetly stop in next time I'm traveling down I-90.

Anonymous said...

Nice idea. But he may be making a profit, but he's not making a living on $5 a nite. Without the other businesses, he wouldn't be able to live on the profits from a $5/night campground with 8 sites. I he filled up all 8 sites for 365 nights, his income would be a grand total of $14,600. If his electric ran $1/nite, he's now down to $11,640. Even if the Bush tax cuts are kept on the books and he pays the same tax rate as Mitt Romney (aqbout 14%) he's now down to $10,010. Throw in some insurance, some cost with the signs down the highway, the cost of gas to drive over to empty the collection box, some electric hogs that use more then $1 a night,and so on, maybe he's got an $8,000 profit - if he's lucky. Doesn't sound like a business opportunity that's going to be attractive to many business people.

Girldawg1 said...

If people would only charge what they need to charge instead of the "going rate" it would be a better world. Good story. Hope to be able to stay there sometime.