Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Would you believe it, a Prius RV? Believe it!

RVs keep getting greener and more creative. Would you believe a Toyota Prius camper? It's true. The fuel-efficient RV is built on a third generation Prius. A conversion company then adds a streamlined, fiber-reinforced plastic shell that expands the car's interior into a small camper.

The living area has room for a small coffee table with booth-type seating and underseat storage that can be converted to a queen-size bed, with an another permanent bed in the forward section above the cockpit. At its rear, the Prius RV features a shower/bathroom stall (we don't know how it could fit, but that's what the PR folks say). The vehicle debuted at the Tokyo Auto Show.

There's no word yet on price or when it might go on the market. But for anyone looking for a basic camper that gets great gas mileage, perhaps this will fit the bill.

9 comments:

Jody A. said...

Amazing - what will they come up with next?!

Anonymous said...

Now that is what I am talking about! But like every RV, the added weight and bulk could put a damper on fuel efficiency. I am sure it would be better than most even though.

Suanne said...

Very interesting and weird. I'm not sure how they do it with a maximum payload of less than 800 lbs. It seems the mod, gear and passengers would easily exceed that. Or, maybe it's been beefed up to handle more weight. I've been using my '04 as a "Prius RV" for several years and I love it! In fact, I'm on the road right now. Suanne (http:SuanneOnline.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

Please explain how you use your prius as an rv. I habe a small suv and would like some ideas. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I have a 07 Prius and love it. But, don't think I'd want to use it as a RV.

Suanne said...

For details and pictures on how my '04 Prius is a fully self-contained "RV" you can go to my blog at http://SuanneOnline.blogspot.com and look in the right column under the heading "A Prius RV" or go to the article at http://cheapgreenrvliving.com/priusliving.html. Happy Trails, Suanne

Rough-it in comfort said...

I bet a can flat toad this behind my class A. and have an In-Law suite. nice idea.

Anonymous said...

If it gets more then 9 MPG, it's not a real RV!

Anonymous said...

Now - if the manufacturer could only make the mods work like a 'slide-in-camper'....allowing me to use the Prius as a choice of car or RV....You'd have my business.